The Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)
Is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools and also in some middle schools across the United States and at US military bases across the world.
Role and purpose
- Developing citizenship and patriotism
- Developing self-reliance and responsiveness to all authority
- Improving the ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Developing an appreciation of the importance of physical fitness
- Increasing a respect for the role of the U.S. Armed Forces in support of national objectives
- Developing a knowledge of team building skills and basic military skills
- Taking 1–3 years of the course grants cadets the ability to rank higher if they pursue a military career.
Section 524.5 of the CFR National Defense title states in part that JROTC should “provide meaningful leadership instruction of benefit to the student and of value to the Armed Forces. …
Students will acquire:
(1) An understanding of the fundamental concept of leadership, military art and science,
(2) An introduction to related professional knowledge, and;
(3) An appreciation of requirements for national security.
The dual roles of citizen/soldier and soldier/citizen are studied. …
These programs will enable cadets to better serve their country as leaders, as citizens, and in military service should they enter it. …
The JROTC and NDCC are not, of themselves, officer-producing programs but should create favorable attitudes and impressions toward the Services and toward careers in the Armed Forces.”
U.S. Army JROTC Cadet Creed
I am an Army Junior ROTC Cadet.
I will always conduct myself to bring credit to my family, country, school and the Corps of Cadets.
I am loyal and patriotic.
I am the future of the United States of America.
I do not lie, cheat or steal and will always be accountable for my actions and deeds.
I will always practice good citizenship and patriotism.
I will work hard to improve my mind and strengthen my body.
I will seek the mantle of leadership and stand prepared to uphold the Constitution and the American way of life.
May God grant me the strength to always live by this creed.